Followers

Pinterest

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

So it begins...

New Adventure
Today I enter into the mysterious world of blogging.  Not being a blog reader per se, this is a new experience for me.  Before I launch into my tales, I think some disclosure is warranted.  I am by no means an author and will more than likely demonstrate my less than stellar grasp/understanding of English grammar.  I am also a horrific speller so I ask that if you decide to partake of my blog, please do so with the understanding that I am limited in my skills.  Case in point, up until this sentence I have corrected no fewer than 9 misspellings.  Whats really embarrassing is that my sister is a champion speller - where's the justice?  Perhaps a contest for those of you reading to report how many errors I make? Hmm, its a thought.  Onto the real purpose of this new adventure.  

I decided it was time to put into print the trials and tribulations faced by many people around the world.  Daily (or rather nightly) individuals in households around the globe are facing a most disgusting, adorable, and aggravating reality: mice infestation.  I am one of those thousands who stand on the front lines in the war on small furry scurriers.  Let me take you back to the beginning of 2012.  My husband and I were faced with challenging economic times like so many other people. Monthly we battled to pay our bills and still keep our children fed/our cars running. One day we were offered a bit of hope by way of my parents.  

My parents' property contained a house that was sitting empty.  This was a house that had seen my sister and I grow up and leave for the bigger/wider world.  My parents told my husband and I we could live in the house rent free and put our own house up for rent.  This was an offer we could not turn down. This particular house sits in the center of forty acres in the middle of central California wine country.  Very beautiful location with rolling hills, oak tree groves, and of course vineyards.  Horses and cows graze nearby, wildlife can be viewed with ease.  A wonderful spot for those who desire peace and simplicity.  So in we moved with great hopes for a less stressful existence.

Battle one: Move in Day
The first weekend in January 2012 we arrive at the house to start the long tiring process of moving in.  In December we had stopped by the house multiple times to get rid of items in the house and prepare it for our family of four. During one of these visits I had been drinking a Slurpee from Target.  Apparently I forgot the drink because on this move in day, we made a very disgusting discovery.  Inside the tall red cup lay the decaying remains of one small greyish brown mouse. I handled this like any other town loving girl would.  I immediately ran from the room, shouting at my husband, "Babe, we have carnage in the house!"  At this point my husband did what he does so well and that was to completely ignore my cries.  He has this annoying opinion of me that I am somewhat dramatic in my responses to situations, an opinion which I think is (unfortunately) shared by others.  Finally, after many attempts to convey how gross this was, he meandered into the kitchen and removed the cup.  Here's the thing though.  He simply moved the cup from the kitchen counter to a table outside of the door.  I was lucky enough to discover this several days later as my two year old attempted to drink the delicious Slurpee.  Fortunately, I caught this horribleness just in time and no mouse decay was consumed.  And so begins a series of events that will hopefully bring together a small bit of humanity so that we can commiserate over the reality of facing an infestation...oh yes, lots more to come. 

3 comments:

  1. They are so cute! It's hard to see their little carcasses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slurpees come from 7/11, Icees come from Target. Dramatic my butt....... More like Spanish language television dramatic.

    ReplyDelete